Friday, July 17, 2009

Money-wise

Following is a letter sent by one of the sophomores to the baap of Caretakers. I have distorted the content but it is true in essence. Have a look.


To,

Raja Dhritrashtra Singh,

Baap of Self Appointed Caretakers,

Prabandhan Prodyogiki Sansthan,

Andher Nagari


Subject: Chor! Chor! Chor!


Dear Maharaj,

This is to inform you about one of the minor misdeeds committed by your yuvraajs. The issue dates back to January when I was on a 3 month holiday to Timbaland. I had earlier opted to buy a hood-wala sweat shirt (Rs X) being offered supposedly at landslide prices by the Caretakers and had appointed my friend Makkhi to collect it. But while I was away, a series of events happened. The said no hood-wala, take bina-hood-wala (Rs X-100). I said no no gimme hood-wala, they said we’re outta stock, I said no no, yes yes, no no… blah blah. Eventually I had to settle for a bina-hood-wala sweat shirt.


Now, when I went to the Caretakers to refund the remaining 100 bucks, they said “Unn…. aan… you see… we don’t have a bank account… so we keep all our money in office drawer. In the last term, one day our senior Caretaker langda bhaiya came to the office, plundered the drawer and took away all the money. So we cannot refund.”


Maharaj, would you care to throw some light on this issue now?


Regards,

Punnu

Maa ka Beta

Prabandhan Prodyogiki Sansthan



If this is the state of affairs with the Caretakers, don’t you think there may be many more Punnus mishandled by them. You’ll say, “Unn…. aan…. But we don’t know.” But I say “Yes, yes, yes”.


Guys, I know that most of us are least bothered by what’s going on in the Sansthan. But it’s time to at least start caring about your parents’ hard earned money. The Caretakers have once again flung into action to organize this year’s Bacchha party. Make sure that your Clan Reps keep account of every penny spent. Else, you may end up victimizing yourself, like this dude who was heard saying during the farewell a few months ago, “Oh man! I have paid 400 bucks for this bloody party. Being a teetotaller has never seemed to be a curse before. But tonight, I am doomed. Even if you take away 200 bucks as a senior’s share, I still have to recover my 200. By now, I have had 1.25 egg-less rolls and 150ml of ghatiya quality ka juice. That’s 12.5 + 9 = Rs21.50. Even if I tip 50 paisa to the Caretakers, I’m still at a loss of 178 bucks. Now I’m gonna dance my lungs out on the DJ till I recover my money and somebody please mark my proxy the next day. Moreover, why is langda bhaiya taking away those 5 gangajal bottles to his room? Are they students or burglars? Damn!!”


Last time, many of us dared to protest against the exorbitant estimates and collections. But they coaxed us promising a gala event. GALA…. saala, paise kya ped pe lagte hain? They fix the amount considering only 75% would pay. Why the hell should we pay for their inefficiencies in making everybody contribute. Especially when the remaining 25% end up consuming most of the fokat ka gangajal. So this time round, ask them to show proper accounts and distribute gangajal prudently. Let’s be Penny-wise and Pound super-wise.


@Caretakers: It may sound clichéd, but with great power comes great responsibilities. I have nothing personal against you. In fact, some of you are my dear friends. But the problem is, instead of changing the system, you’ve become a part of it. Instead of saying, “That’s the way it is” why don’t you say, “That’s the way it should not be. Let’s change it.”


Enough of gyaan this time.



Keep itching!!

4 comments:

  1. A great work...plz IMTians think!!!
    if we cant help this situation then seriously we cant help any1...not even ourselves.

    We so easily say so many things about curruption in India n we just think what can we do?! Now here is the chance to do something...Yes this is also a part of the bigger picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such facts when brought to light really makes me feel pathetic about the so called handpicked students who can turn corrupt at the mercy of power! I guess its a shame to all of us

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mr. Sensitized IMTian,

    I'm sorry to inform you that we IMTians mind our own business (and, let me clarify, any alleged misuse of our parents' hard earned moolah, as you have very aptly put it, doesn't seem to fall in this category). We would rather crib and curse, but ultimately we resign to our fate and do what is asked of us.
    Demanding transparency in the system is not like us at all... we'd rather die of old age waiting for the accused Caretakers to be more proactive in proving themselves clean!
    Maybe you spoke out against them thinking that the reform is never going to happen by itself? I say, what the hell, just let it be! This way we can pass off yet another dogma as being a part of our hallowed IMT tradition!

    I hope I've sensitized you further.

    Rest in peace,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sensitized IMTian,
    You are a legend and you were way ahead of your time!

    ReplyDelete